Subscription boxes for teens. What do you think? A good idea or not?
I’ll start by saying my personal opinion is that it is a good idea! I’ve already shared a story about my nieces getting into Ipsy, and this was before they were even teens.
I loved getting them a subscription to Ipsy. I liked that they could have something to look forward to each month. I loved how happy it made them. Most of all, I loved that we had a shared experience. We could talk about the fun bags the products came in and share our thoughts on the products. I have some great memories and I am sure the girls do too. 🙂
Now that I am fully immersed in the subscription box world, I see more subscription boxes for teens popping up and I have to say, I am glad! I understand there are some objections – some people don’t love the idea. I understand that each parent will decide what they think is best for their teen.
I just wanted to share some of the reasons I think it’s a good idea:
- It gives them something to look forward to each month. With the hormones and drama in their lives, I like the idea of something that makes them smile each month, something good they can count on.
- It teaches them how to value and take care of their possessions. They love what they get in the box and they care about taking care of it properly.
- It shows them it is good to pamper themselves. It’s good to have nice things that bring happiness and self-gifting and self-care are not selfish.
- It helps them understand the value of money and items. They can see how much a box costs and the value of what they get in the box.
- It creates a shared experience and bonding time between sisters, friends, a mom or aunt, and the teen.
- It can open their eyes to different business ideas and inspire them.
- They learn to develop more of a sense of style as they are exposed to items they may not typically get if it wasn’t for the subscription box.
- They learn about different brands and products – and often they will learn about eco-friendly products or local businesses. They will learn about ingredients in products.
I think there is a lot of value and hidden lessons in letting a teen enjoy subscription boxes.
I love this box because there is an elegance to it yet it’s very age-appropriate. The items are pretty and fun and also something they will use, so it’s doesn’t become clutter, just sitting around.
It’s no secret I am a fan of Highway 522. I applaud them for expanding into a teen box (they also did gratitude boxes and self-care boxes for adults this winter). It’s great to a Canadian company thriving and reaching new markets.
Jenn is a marketer with extensive experience in B2B, B2C and subscription models. Co-founding BoxSpoilers brings Jenn back to her entrepreneurial roots. This is just the beginning – she has some big plans for Box Spoilers.